Wednesday, September 16, 2009

the Lastest from the Bartholomews

Dear Family and Friends,

Hey, I am still alive!! It has been an interesting few weeks – actually about eight. I have learned there are things here in Africa that you do not want to bite you. I think I have had micro-organisms, spiders and tick bites enough for a life time. I am trying to do better. Came out of hospital and contacted a tick and got tick bite fever. What I do know is that trials make us stronger … or kills us!! So, Hey I am happy to be alive.

Our legs are getting thinner. That is a saying they make here when someone is preparing to leave shortly. We hate that the end of our mission is here already – but we are so excited to see our family. It is very strange emotion that goes on within you as you prepare to leave the people that you have grown to love with all your heart. Tears flow easily every day as we contemplate leaving. The Lord has truly blessed us to accomplish the things necessary even though I have been ill. I would have enough strength to do what we needed and then we would go home. Our branches have become stronger and are starting to have strong legs which enable them to stand and be successful. This is a testimony to me of the love our Father in Heaven has for each one of us. He does strengthen us and always with faith there is hope.

These past few weeks, we have enjoyed a super Zone Conference, Mission couple get-away to Tembe Elephant Park, (where I was so lucky to get a tick to bite me), Branch Conferences, Youth and so on. The highlight though of all we have experienced these past weeks happened Saturday Morning. I was very sick from the tick fever and was getting very discouraged. Then I received a call telling me that our Branch in Ngwelezane was having an Enrichment meeting. ALL ON THEIR OWN!! I began to cry. They planned it, got everyone involved and then had the Branch President rent them a place to have it. The Branch Pres. called Larry to make sure he could give them money for the rent and food. Larry said “of Course”. They were learning about cooking and measuring. I had Elder B take me there even though I was sick and I took pictures of them and then said goodbye. I love these women. It has taken two years for the Relief Society to organize themselves to do such an activity on their own. It was always easy to have Sister B. help, but I was unavailable and they did it all. This was an answer to our prayers. To know that they can and more importantly WILL function as they should. The next day was Sunday and it was their Branch Conference. They had put together a choir and sang two numbers.

Our little twigs – embryos – have become a running and functioning branch!! I think of them many times like the pioneers with their handcarts. There are so many storms and winds in their lives that make it so hard for them to push forward. But somehow they do. We watch them struggle and wonder if they will every make it up the hill. But, this I know, God loves them. They are not alone – they are truly blessed with angels to bless their lives. We have seen the miracles – and many times they are small little things that make huge differences.

You all know of the love we have for these great people, so you can understand our sadness in leaving. We have five weeks left and fever or not we try to go forward. I hope to be over this by next week so we can push forward and end strong. We continue to have youth every week and Larry has been good to be the strong one to help. We celebrated Pres. Monsons Birthday this past week, (I know, I was a little late) we told stories of him and his accomplishments – them we decorated birthday cakes in his honor. They had so much fun – both decorating and eating. The youth are strong and will lead these branches into a ward someday.

I want to thank you all for your continued prayers on my behalf. I know they have helped. I can only be on the computer for a short time….headaches… but wanted you to know how blessed we are out here in Africa. We are anxious to be with our family shortly. We miss them so much. Our arrival day will be Oct. 20th. It seems so sad to end this little journey that we have been on. We love you all and will soon be with you again.

Love,

Mom, Karen, Sis. B.

No comments: