Saturday, April 25, 2009

sudden skinner death

Well I was looking around the net about my problem. It's not so bad at the moment. I only take my pills once in a while. Yesterday I had chest pain that I think was my esophogus. I took one of my Lorazapam and it miraculously went away. I looked into this and it turns out Lorazopam is used for esophogal spasm. Anyway I thought I would quote this article I read about panic disorder and sudden death. I was talking to Dad about how all the people in his family kept dropping like flies. Maybe this has something to do with it. I know when I get nervous my heart also does not beat the way that it should. If I take the pills the doctor gave me I go back to normal. (but a little sleepy)


Sudden Cardiac Death
There also appears to be an association between PD and sudden cardiac death. Sudden cardiac death has been linked to anxiety symptoms in a number of community studies. A large epidemiologic study of 2280 men found that those with 2 or more anxiety symptoms had more than 4 times the risk of sudden cardiac death than did those without such symptoms.58 Three prospective epidemiologic studies59,65,66 have shown that “phobic anxiety” (anxiety similar to the anticipatory anxiety of panic attacks) is associated with a significantly increased risk of sudden cardiac death; these studies have shown that persons with the highest levels of anxiety suffer sudden cardiac death 4 to 6 times more frequently than do those without anxiety symptoms.
The postulated mechanism by which phobic anxiety—and possibly PD—is related to sudden cardiac death involves dysregulation of normal autonomic influence on cardiac activity, as measured by heart rate variability. Decreased heart rate variability suggests pathologic variation in autonomic regulation and is an established risk factor for sudden cardiac death independent of ventricular function or ectopy.67–69 Patients with phobic anxiety have been shown to have decreased heart rate variability,68 and such patients have been found to have rates of sudden cardiac death up to 6 times higher than those for nonanxious patients.59,65,66
Studies of patients with PD have suggested that decreased heart rate variability occurs in this disorder as well. Two studies by Yeragani and colleagues69,70 demonstrated that patients with PD had shown significantly decreased heart rate variability in both supine and standing positions and in response to isoproterenol infusions. Klein and associates71 also found significantly decreased variability in a small study of 10 patients with PD, while 1 study of patients with PD or social phobia found no such differences in heart rate variability.72 Given the link between phobic anxiety, decreased heart rate variability, and sudden cardiac death, it seems quite feasible that PD, with its associated decrease in heart rate variability, may predispose to sudden cardiac death as well.

No comments: