Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thoughts on the Provo and Ogden Temples


The Provo temple dedicated in 1972 has got to be one of the more questionable decisions the leader of the church ever made. Now I am not privy to the background story of all of this but I am mainly talking about the design of the temple. I would not necesarily classify them as ugly but as far as temples of the church go these two temples are about as close to ugly as you can get. How can you feel the spirit of the lord in a building that has escalators? Actually the escalators where removed and I can see why. The church was low on money at this point in history because the temple was announced in 1967 and not dedicated until 1972. According to wikipedia. Emil B. Fetzer, the architect for the Ogden and Provo temples, was asked to create a functional design with efficiency, convenience, and reasonable cost as key factors. Now I am not one to say that these temples shouldn't have been built but they are kind of tacky. I am sure I mentioned this to David O McKay in the spirit world since he died six days before I was born. Maybe the lord is trying to teach me not to be so worried about the architecture of the temple because the Provo temple is where I recieved my endowments. It was also where I was sealed to Faithann. (I won't comment one way or another here due to legal requirements) I am glad we have not built any more temples that are quite as tacky but the tonga one comes close. I also think that even Maralee and Todd would have to agree that the Denver temple is not one of the better looking ones either.

3 comments:

Steve S. said...

I agree!! It is not the most beautiful building in the world. I used to think that the rooms were very simple, just like a ward house. The chapel in the Provo temple is just like a local meeting house chapel. The only room that was nice was the celestial room. I think that the Manti and Salt Lake temples are much more beautiful.

Mare said...

I don't mind the denver temple!!! But I probably wouldn't have picked it just by looks :) But I really like the Rexburg temple now! The murals and details inside the temple are gorgeous! One endowment room has the tetons which is probably why I like it so much!

Brian and Marci said...

The oquirr mountain temple and the Rexberg temple look exactly the same. I could be wrong but I can't tell the difference.